Monday, July 3, 2017

The pit

Sometimes I'm far from it, there is no danger falling in. Sometimes I'm standing on the edge but with enough room that I won't slip. Sometimes I'm grasping the side of the ground, with my feet dangling in, trying to pull myself up. And every once in a while, it's as if someone shoved me in, with no warning. What is it? It's the pit. The pit is dark, deep, lonely. The walls are slippery and steep, impossible to crawl. The bottom offers nothing good yet has this amazing ability to increase what you bring to it. If you bring sadness, it will in return give you despair. If you bring with you doubts, it will allow you to find hopelessness. It is a place to sit and nothing else, there is not enough room. So how do you get out once you're in? Well, it can become a home for some, they never really find their way out and choose to live a life, comfortably isolated and despairing. Others panic as they scream and cry and grab at the side walls, only to slide back down each time. But then a rope appears, sometimes you have the strength to grab it and sometimes you can barely lift your finger to touch it. As the rope hangs and you grab on, you feel yourself being lifted out. Light shines in your eyes that had become adjusted to the darkness, it is uncomfortable and feels unnatural. You know it is good to be out, but you miss the security of the pit. But then, you adjust, you like the light and the space and the freedom out side of the pit. The fear remains of falling back in, but for now, you are out and that is enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tidal wave

When depression comes in waves It doesn’t just crash at my feet It barrels over like a tidal wave And clouds all that I see As it...