Monday, June 19, 2017

Looking through the eyes of the insecure

Dear friend,
I wrote this for you. Through your eyes.

I look up and see myself there
when i catch just a glimpse, I'm covered in shame.
I know it won't help but I can't help but stare
And let these images define me as I forget my true name.

The mirrors are like knives and stab me just enough
to feel so much pain and hold me there stuck
How does this happen when I'm doing all the right stuff
The words I can't stray from are big fat and yuck.

I walk out the room and go on with my life
I forget about the pain and all can be well
Until I look over and see another knife
The little confidence I had, well, it just fell

Its not just on the surface
It goes oh so deep
its more than the makeup or clothes that I purchase
The agony of my worth brings me to weep

Why don't they pick me?
I believe no one will
Why don't they like me?
These questions haunt me still.

I believe no one will ever see
any true beauty in me
Is there more here than just how I look?
Those other guys, look at how much they took!

I let them all tell me what I am worth
I let them all show me this is what I deserve
I watch them leave and leave me with hurt
As I see this idol grow that I serve.

But they're wrong and they never were right!
They're the ones in darkness and I'm in the light
Those mirrors, they can't hurt me
They only tell me lies
Those questions won't help me see
despite all my tries

I was created from the beginning
With exquisite beauty and form
so even when my heart is spinning
the veil is still torn
so I can enter the throne room of the one who knows all
The one who will hold me and not let me fall
The one who I worship and follow his law
He speaks my true beauty and I fall down in awe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tidal wave

When depression comes in waves It doesn’t just crash at my feet It barrels over like a tidal wave And clouds all that I see As it...